Guest lecture on Application and Use of Microbes by Department of Microbiology
Microbes are very diverse, they are fascinating, and modern imaging techniques show that they can be very beautiful. Microbiology is an applied science, helping agriculture, health and medicine and maintenance of the environment, as well as the biotechnology industry. Microorganisms are extremely important in our everyday lives. The subject deals with the application of microorganisms and the knowledge about them. Applications include biotechnology, agriculture, medicine, food microbiology and bioremediation.
AIM of the Events
It will tell about the different ways in which microbes are useful to us. It will also help students to know better that microorganisms help in the production of many food items, making medicines, keeping the environment clean, in manufacturing and in research.
Highlights of Events
The study of microbes helps us to understand our world and our place within it. It gives us insights into the complexity of nature and society, which in turn provide many different health, environmental, social, cultural, industrial and economic benefits
|Speakers of the Events:
(Name, E- Mail ID, Designation, Organization Name, Photograph. Resume)
|NAME||Dr Y.P. Singh|
|Designation & Experience||Retd Scientist, Forest pathology Division|
|Organization||Forest Research Institute, Dehradun|
|Department Name ( Full Name)||Forest Pathology Division|
|Course Name (Participants):||B.Sc-Microbiology, Forestry, Agriculture, Horticulture and ZBC|
|Date Time & Venue of Events:||15th October’ 2019, Seminar Hall, DBIMS|
|Event Coordinator & Organizing Team Members||Dr Prerana Badoni, Dr Pallavi Gautam, Priyanka Yadav|
|Contact Person||Dr Prerana Badoni
Speaker profile : Dr. Y. P. Singh
- M.Sc. and Ph. D. from G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
- Retired as Scientist E and Head of Forest Pathology Division, Forest Research Institute, Dehradun
- Experience: Research- app. 30yrs; Teaching- app. 25yrs
- Guided: 15 Ph. D. and 30 Master students
- Publications: >250
- Area of interest: Forest diseases; Beneficial microbial inoculants; Antifungal properties of plants; Science communication, Science popularization,
- Projects (10): Executed projects of CABI, UK;
– DBT and NMPB, New Delhi;
– UCoST, ICFRE, and USFD, Dehradun.
- Consultancy (3): International Panecea Limited, New Delhi.
- P. Forest Department, Shimla
- Gujrat Forest Department, Gandhi Nagar
- Editor of ENVIS Forestry Bulletin
- Resource person- World Agroforestry Center, New Delhi; FAO, Rome; INSPIRE programme of DST; Ajim-Premji Foundation; Universities (Central and Agriculture); Training programmes of various funding agencies, etc.
- National awards (2): TERI and Indian Phytopathological Society, New Delhi for research on nematode- mycorrhiza interactions
- Fellowship: ICAR, New Delhi
- FAO at University of Florida, USA in 1995
-Phone no.: 0135-2623317 (R); Mobile: 0-7895428185